When discussing communities of practice in the last couple
of classes, Dr. Plumb explained that boundary objects transmitted from one
community of practice to another don’t hold any negotiated value for those on
the receiving end. Although the object may hold much value for those who
created or produced it initially, that meaning is lost once the object is
transmitted to an outside community of practice. To further illustrate this
notion, Dr. Plumb used the example of large Apple Inc manufacturing plants in
China which produce iPhones and iPads. Although we understand that working
conditions in manufacturing plants in China are sub-standard and dangerous,
many of us wouldn’t think to research where our electronic gadgets are coming
from. We’d go to a retailer here in Canada to buy, for example, an iPad not
thinking of the value and meaning it holds for the people who manufactured it.
We don’t share any meaning with those people in the object since it takes on a
completely different meaning in our own life. Here’s an interesting video from
ABC News Nightline that takes a look inside one of the manufacturing plants:
Interestingly enough, those Apple plants in China “are far
better than those at garment factories or other facilities elsewhere in the
country” despite “reports of worker suicides, a plant explosion and slave-like
conditions” (read
the article from reuters.com). However, since we are so far removed
from the workers who build the products, they don’t hold much value for us. We
don’t interact with the workers who produce our goods so we don’t have any
associated meaning with the products they provide to companies that sell them
to us. These boundary objects don’t hold any negotiated meaning and they come
from people who belong to what we’d consider an out group so we tend to not
place as much human value on workers we don’t know.
I thought this was interesting because, alternatively, when
it comes to purchasing goods that we know are produced locally, there is a
social movement underway where more and more people are buying local goods and
produce whenever they can. In Halifax, there are different forms of “Buy Local”
campaigns and markets that feature local producers. Wenger would explain that we
want to support our local merchants because these people are more familiar
to us and they are in our immediate community of practice due to living in the
same region. We can relate to them and would consider them to be more of a
member of our in group than those in other parts of the world.
![]() |
| The I Love Local Halifax group encourages Haligonians to shop and dine at local, independant businesses. |
As Tomasello tells us in The
Cultural Origins of Human Cognition (as
listed on Chapters.ca), as humans we transmit meaning and cultural
information with each other through shared meaning and goals. By reading
Wenger’s in Communities of Practice:
Learning, Meaning, and Identity (as
listed on Chapters.ca), we learned that communities of practice provide people
with a sense of belonging and acceptance by adding value to shared information
together. In current Canadian society, it is accepted that making socially
conscious buying choices by buying local goods and produce whenever possible is
the best choice. Although there are groups and organizations that spread
awareness on the working conditions in the countries that produce the majority
of the textiles and electronics we use in North America, it is still socially acceptable
for us to purchase these goods at the retailers that sell them. These
purchasing habits are so normal in many communities of practice that they are
reifications most people don’t think twice about.
However, if we take this a step further with Bracher’s Radical Pedagogy: Identity, Generativity,
and Social Transformation (as
listed on Chapters.ca) we could argue that people support sustainable and
local buying habits not only for the health benefits and to support people they
feel closer to in their communities of practice but also because “our identity
requires recognition by others” (p. 7). Since buying local is the “in” thing to
do, we can assume that individuals will be appreciated by their peers by
following the trend and will gain greater acceptance and recognition from
others in their immediate community of practice.
![]() |
| We all desire recognition from others. |
I had never reflected on my buying habits in
this way. I realize that the above points I made are all about being human and
how we instinctually live our lives in today’s society within our communities
of practice. And, unfortunately, I do believe that changing the working
conditions in manufacturing plants other countries is beyond our control. Now
more than ever, North America is relying more and more on consuming goods that
were manufactured in China (for more on the topic, read “China
Makes, The World Takes”). However, I
think it is important for us to be aware of the world around us outside of our
immediate “city” of communities of practice so we can make informed choices and
to help share the meaning and value of our buying power with those we interact
with.


Hi Margaret: Wow, what a great blog! I think you've summed up Tomasello and Wenger's respective positions on this topic really well. Your first point, that boundary objects necessitate the loss of negotiated value by virtue of their boundary-crossingness, definitely has some consequences for the 'buy local' movement, doesn't it? Because if we don't perceive any value in receiving food/goods made locally, then is it only our guilty consciences that make us buy local? I'm sure there are people so dedicated to buying local they'll continue to do so, even when those foods/goods aren't really what they want to buy. I don't even know if I'd feel comfortable aligning myself with a community of practice (such as buying locally) if I didn't espouse that community's values/origin. The way I understand social acceptability is as a power dynamic, so to attempt to observe social acceptability may actually be the only option offered in oppressive conditions, which has political ramifications (all from the simple act of buying locally) - thanks very much for the ideas and ponderings!
ReplyDeleteMargaret, I liked it, I really liked it! What a thought-provoking read. Your blog paints a clear picture of the advantages of buying local versus the disadvantages of purchasing factory-line electronics without a second thought. I found your blog was written in a way that was easy to follow and identify with. I particularly appreciated the ways in which you tied in all three course text books. This seamlessly connected some of the ideas and concepts introduced by each author in a practical manner and perhaps the points you make will entice others to rethink their purchases. Through reading Bracher we are learning more and more about the importance of our individual identity. Whether we are ‘awakened’ to the pitfalls of our consumerist society through seeing a film such as Manufactured Landscapes (2006), catching ABC New Nightline, or reading your blog, I can only hope that we all take a little extra time to contemplate our choices as consumers. It may not seem like much, but deciding between PEI and Idaho potatoes, or choosing to recycle a plastic container rather than throwing it out are important decisions that affect our community and our planet. To close, I will borrow from existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre who has been quoted as saying “we are our choices”. I couldn’t agree more.
ReplyDelete